Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Crazy? Maybe!

 Why are we traveling thousands of miles and paying thousands of dollars to redeem a child whose own people have discarded? When I think about it, this is exactly what my Savior has done for me. I was hopeless and stuck in sin. There was absolutely nothing I could do to free myself. But, Jesus, in complete selfless love, rescued me from the hopeless mire. He gave Himself to give me hope. Jesus asks me, as His follower, to become like Him. He wants me to feed the hungry, to give drink to the thirsty, to clothe the naked, and to love the unloved. Why does He command us to do these things? Because that is what He did. What a beautiful picture to those still hopeless. The Bible says that true religion is taking care of the widow and the orphan. Not so that we look better than everyone else, but because this is a picture of what Christ has done for His people. It is a very tangible picture of God's grace. It is the gospel alive. When we began to look into adopting a special needs child, we knew that a lot of people would support and encourage us in this. We also knew that a lot of people would think we were absolutely crazy. And I think we are, in a sense. I truly believe that God has called His people to be crazy. This is going to be a sacrifice, it is going to stretch us in every single way I can think. Financially, we are giving our all and having faith that the rest will come. Emotionally, not only is the adoption process filled with emotions, simply raising our son is going to stretch us to a whole new level. Physically, we are committing to caring for our baby's needs for the rest of his life. Spiritually, we are being asked to step out of our comfort with faith that I am not sure either one of us have at the moment. This is not easy, but the love God has given us for our little boy is beyond anything I ever thought possible. I already love him as my own. It gives me just the tiniest reflection of how He feels for me. Jesus has not called us to be comfortable, not on this earth anyway. He has called us to be His ambassadors here. He has called us to see worth where no one else does, because He saw worth in us, even though we were not worthy. We do not have any idea or expectation of what our little guy can and will accomplish once home, but I have no doubt that our sacrifices will bring joy. Am I saying that every Christian that is not adopting a child is not living according to His will? The answer to that is no, of course not. Not unless He is calling you to do that. There are unloved people that surround us each and every day. There are hurting people that need to know what undeserved love feels like. There are so many ways to follow His will in this, to be a living picture of what He has given us. That is the number one reason we are doing this. The fact that we are saving the life of a little boy that we see as a treasure brings peace to the rest. We are coming, sweet boy. Hang on just a little while, sweet one!

No comments:

Post a Comment