This is the number that floats around the advocacy groups I am in. Ninety percent of babies with a prenatal diagnosis of Down Syndrome are killed before they take their first breath. I think I'd have better odds of survival jumping into a shark tank than a baby in utero that gets a Down Syndrome diagnosis. That astounds me. How? Why? I do not understand.
Some would argue that they are choosing to end a life to ease suffering...
Who is suffering?
I have come to know many people that carry an extra 21st chromosome and not one of them is suffering because of it. Just the opposite, in fact. They come in every shape, size, color, and personality. But they all share a zest for life that most only wish for. They share a fierce passion and love for life itself. They are not suffering.
Some would claim that they do not wish to burden their other children and family as a whole...
It is a fact that most siblings of children with special needs are incredibly amazing people. They grow up to do amazing things because they see what perseverance looks like on a daily basis. They see firsthand that life is not always easy, but that hard work pays off. They grow up to change their world for the better because they are filled with compassion and a love that drives them to great things. I have seen that grow and develop in my own typical children. Having their brothers join our family has made them better.
Some say that the risk of the pregnancy is not worth it...
Everything we do in life entails risk. We could choke on a piece of cheesecake, but we choose to eat it and find delight. We could get hit by a car crossing the street, but we do not lock ourselves in the house. Every single pregnancy is a risk. But life IS worth that risk. And a child with Down Syndrome is worth no less than any other child.
It is time that we, as mothers, see the truth and stop falling for the lies. Life is precious. I look at my boys and cannot help to feel brokenhearted when I think that there are 18 others, so much like them, that were not given the chance to live and to shine because they were diagnosed with an extra chromosome while still tucked away in their mother's womb.
These children are a gift and a treasure. If you recognize that, but cannot parent that child for some reason, there are literally thousands of couples waiting in line to receive such a gift. You can find out more about the adoption option here.



No comments:
Post a Comment